Workshop: Tweet"The Toyota Kata Experience"
Track: Workshop / Time: Wednesday 09:00 - 16:00 / Location: Rosenborg
“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.” - Aristotle
You have been doing agile for a few years now. With a regular cadence you have retrospectives and a lot of problems and great improvement opportunities are raised but you don't seem to really improve. Let us put your retrospectives on steroids. Start using
Building on the power of habits, Toyota Kata will help you build a daily continuous learning and improvement culture, a kaizen culture.
In this intense one day workshop, you will be introduced to the two main Kata* of the Toyota Kata, the Improvement Kata and Coaching Kata. We will do a deep dive into the fundamental behavior patterns at the core of the Toyota Kata methodology: the rapid experimental cycles and the 5-Question Coaching Dialog. You will gain direct insight into the power of the Improvement Kata and Coaching Kata through repeated personal practice. You will experience how these daily habits or routines will help you to strive towards a state of awesomeness in small experiments focused on learning. Small teams will work together striving to achieve ever higher levels of awesomeness using the Improvement Kata and Coaching Kata, thereby gaining practical hands-on familiarity with Toyota Kata.
- Provide an introduction to the core routines, mindset, and behavioral practices of Improvement Kata and Coaching Kata.
- Allow you to experience the core routines of the of the Improvement Kata and Coaching Kata through interactive, hands-on exercises
- You will learn how you can start applying the Improvement Kata and Coaching Kata in a software development context as a compliment or a replacement of the agile retrospective.
- How Toyota Kata can become the catalyst for creating a culture of continuous learning and improvement, a kaizen culture.
- How Improvement Kata and Coaching Kata can become your “muscle memory” for continuous learning and improvements in your organization.
- How the Coaching Kata will form the habits of the agile leaders of the organization to help the learners learn and improve.
- Understand how agile leaders and managers can create a lasting culture of continuous improvement through simple, easy-to-use, time efficient daily routines
- How Improvement Kata and Coaching Kata can become a compliment or a replacement of the agile retrospective.
- How to apply the Improvement Kata and Coaching Kata in a software development context
- Time to stop collecting problems and start forming new habits of learning and improving!
(*) Kata means pattern, routine, habits or way of doing things. Kata is about creating a fast “muscle memory” of how to take action instantaneously in a situation without having to go through a slower logical procedure. A Kata is something that you practice over and over striving for perfection. If the Kata itself is relative static, the content of the Kata, as we execute it is modified based on the situation and context in real-time as it happens. A Kata as different from a routine in that it contains a continuous self-renewal process.